Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Very First T-Ball Practice

Oh my goodness. 
It's finally here.
Time for Case's very first t-ball practice.
I cannot even begin to describe how excited he was. 

After registering, we asked my sister what all we would need, 
and went shopping with Daddy. 

Baseball pants. 
Cleats. 
Glove. 
(Ended up getting a bat too)


So for days and weeks before, we talked to Case about it.
"Are you so excited??"
"You are going to be practicing, so soon!"
"You'll be learning, and playing with new friends that love baseball too!"

So after anxiously awaiting the e-mail, to give us the information for the first practice...
we gathered up our baseball stuff and were ready. 
I had asked Mom earlier in the week if she could watch the Rhetter man, 
just for the first practice so that 
we could just soak in every ounce of excitement
 that we knew Case would be exploding with.

Also, funny story.
The other day, Cy, Griffin & Avery were teaching Case how to exercise.
The boys I guess told him that he needed to exercise to get ready for baseball. 
So before we got ready for t-ball, he announced:
"Mommy! Wait! I gotta essersize before practice! Watch!"
He was doing fake little push ups, and was laying on his back pumping his imaginary dumbbell into the air.
CRACKING me up.

So Mom & Dad arrived around 4:15, and we got him dressed. 
Rhett had just woken up for a nap, so Mom put him in the stroller for a short walk to divert the melt down of seeing Mommy and Case leaving. ;) 
Dad opted to go with us, to watch the first practice. 
We were so excited! 

Well, walking outside to get the stroller out of my truck for Mom, I noticed it was looking a little gloomy.
Actually, pretty chilly compared to the 80 some degree weather earlier in the afternoon.

I hadn't even thought about checking the radar. 
Dad said he was going to grab his umbrella, so I grabbed a jacket for me and we headed out. 
On the way there, Dad told me he wasn't sure which was more excited me or Case!
Have to agree! I admit I have been absolutely giddy. 
Matt and I can't stop talking about it. 
It's just going to be so much fun! 


 We arrived about 10 minutes early, walked on down to the back practice fields, asked around and realized we were in the wrong spot. 
Walked back up to the field, and found our new head coach, met him and his wife. 
The wife's Dad (so Coach's Father in Law) is the assistant coach - and I think it's going to be a great team! 
As soon as Case got on the field, and I was filling out a sheet with our contact info, 
we felt sprinkles. 
Daddy got there, just in time for the first drops. 

While everyone was arriving, and kids were talking and playing, 
Case went and ran the bases. 
By himself.
(and the wrong way ha - not too worried though we know he knows the right way - we hope!)




 Well, not too long after they got to get on the field
it started to thunder. 
Then it started to rain, then it started to really rain...and really thunder and flash some lightning too. 

So we all huddled under the dug out, 
coaches went over what it means to be "baseball ready" 
and they introduced themselves one by one. 
Precious. 


 After introductions, the thunder was just non stop. 
So, the coach made the call that practice didn't look like it was going to happen. 
Before the final decision that practice was over, 
Case walked up to the coach, and quietly said, 
"I all done." 
 (Which meant he was all done talking, and ready to go play on the field) 

As they walked out of the dugout, and he realized no one was going onto the field, 
and that practice was over...he was absolutely devastated. 
It broke our hearts! 

(Tears the entire way to the car, and home)

Headed home, my Dad and I laughed and talked about how no matter how it went
it would, (and was) a memorable experience. 

He didn't get totally deprived of his baseball evening, though. 
His amazing Daddy took him into the living room 
and practiced until Case was ready to eat dinner. 






We assured him there would be lots of future practices and games, 
and lucky for him he only has to wait a few more days until the next one. 
Hoping the rain stays away! 

Looking forward to our fall ball season. 
So very excited! 


No comments:

Post a Comment