Friday, November 4, 2011

Case's Thumbs

Last week, we traced the kids hands at school for their Turkey hand prints craft. After Ms. Jackie traced Case's, she asked me if I had noticed that Case's thumbs did not extend to a straight position. I said No, and quickly went over to see for myself. Sure enough, his little thumbs seemed locked in a bent position. It was so strange, and I became obsessed with touching and trying to maneuver his thumbs all day long. By the time bedtime came around, I was still so puzzled. Matt was studying late that night, 
and I ended up calling Mom to talk about it with her. 
We started researching on the internet, and she came across something called "Trigger Thumb". It seemed to fit his description, and I searched further and found lots of Mom's telling their stories of their children having the exact same thing - though it is rare in children, Case is definitely not alone. (Most had surgery to correct it)
I showed Matt as soon as he came home, he agreed that he in fact couldn't bend them into a straight position, he quickly assured me that there were lots of other options other than surgery, splints, steroids etc.

We decided to go ahead and make an appointment with Case's pediatrician, to see what he thought.
I tried to make an appointment the end of that week we noticed it, but I didn't hear back from them and ended up calling again Tuesday morning on our way to school. The receptionist got us in for a quick appointment that day, right after school.

I talked to Case man the whole way to the appointment, explaining that  Dr. Latham would be looking at his thumbs, and wiggling them back and forth and that he needed to let him. (I had been driving him craaaazy touching his thumbs and moving them around, so I was afraid he wouldn't let Dr. L touch them!)
So, when Dr. L came in, Case immediately shoved his thumbs in the air for him to see them! (and was also obnoxiously shoving them in his face when he was writing in his chart! ;) Dr. L seemed concerned, and said he wanted us to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. He said he thought it was something that he was probably born with, and as he matured the tendons grew tighter and tighter causing it to lock into a bent position. That made me feel better, I was starting to wonder how on earth I had never ever noticed it. Dr.L seemed to be upset he hadn't noticed it either, he is always so thorough.  I did mention Trigger thumb, he nodded but didn't say whether or not he thought that was what it was. 
He was going to take x-rays that day, but decided to let us wait and have the Orthopedic Surgeon take them in case he wanted different angles.

SO...now we wait. 
Our nurse called us that afternoon and let us know she set him up for an appointment at the Kentucky Clinic on S. Limestone, on November 30th at 1:30. He's set up with the Hand Service Doctor there.

We are hoping for the best, we know God is watching over our little man, and if surgery is in his future we just pray that he will wrap his arms around us, and be there with us every step of the way.

Here's a few pictures of the little guys thumbs: 

This is literally as far back as he can extend it.

Comparison between his thumb and mine
Bless his heart. 
Prayers would be greatly appreciated, as we figure out how to fix his teeny tiny thumbs. He doesn't seem to have any problems with them yet, but of course as he gets older it could cause problems with writing and sports etc. Dr. L assured us that it would be best to get it taken care of now, and we totally agree.

2 comments:

  1. We will be praying for Case and you guys as well! I know as a mom how worrisome it must be, but also know that we serve an awesome God, and he will take good care of Case man!! We go to the Kentucky Clinic for all of our appointments since we're with UK. Never been in the ortho department, but I know they have the best doctors for little ones! Prayers to Case and now I'm going to go examine Eli's thumbs as I've never even seen if he can straighten them or not. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl...how stressful. Glad your ped is being super proactive. Will definitely be praying for the little man..please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete