Monday, March 7, 2011

Thunderstorm

At the beginning of last week, we had our first thunderstorm of the year. 
We are guessing that last year around storm season Case hadn't developed the imagination yet to think thunder was scary...

It didn't start to storm until very early in the morning. Matt and I woke up to Case screaming bloody murder, and crying for his Daddy. We both jumped up, and Matt ran into Case's room. It was about 6:30am and Case was shaking like a little leaf, saying "Boom! Boom!" He was absolutely terrified! It broke our hearts! So, we let him crawl into bed with us and cuddled him until we all fell asleep for a few hours.

Poor little guy was traumatized. The whole day was rainy and blah, it wasn't storming any more but at nap time Case was so afraid that it was going to "Boom" again. He was shaking again, and clawing my shoulders when I tried to lay him down in his bed for a nap. It took some serious convincing that it was nap time. Then bed time was even worse. We had a knock out drag out war until two o'clock in the morning. It was horrible. Matt had already left for his golf trip to Myrtle Beach so I was dealing with it all by myself - and this had literally been the worst night with Case since I could remember. I kept thanking God that Rhett had fallen asleep at 9 and was sleeps like a rock. (Since their bedrooms are right next to each other) We usually read Case a few books, turn on his box fan, turn off the light and kiss him good-night. After all of this he would continue to get out of bed and cry at the door. He has gotten into the habit of laying down on the floor so he can look under the door and see our feet...and about every hour when he would wake up again I realized he had fallen asleep on the floor by the door!

 By the time 2am rolled around, I was so exhausted that I just picked him up and let him sleep in our bed. I don't think Case even slept a wink, I think he was still so nervous about the storm and was afraid that I would take him back into his own bed. I kept waking up to him an inch away from my face just staring at me! Or I would wake up to his stuffed animal Bob smacking me in my face. Ugh. Sleeping with a two year old is not very peaceful! I have to admit though, I did enjoy the snuggle time with my busy little guy.

I knew that I had to nip this bedtime war in the bud before it became a new nightly thing. I was prepared to have another eventful night, and we did. This time it only lasted about an hour though. He was still so afraid that it was going to "Boom". I reassured him over and over that it wasn't going to boom, and that even if it was "booming" it was just a big loud noise and that he was perfectly safe.

The next night was even better, the sleep war only lasted 5 minutes. :)

I know that the next thunderstorm will probably stir up all of these fears again, but we will get through it. I'm  going to pick up some children books about storms, and we also got him a night light to help ease these new found bedtime fears.

This morning, the garbage truck scared him to death and I heard him screaming "Boom Boom!".
Bless his heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment