Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 2 & 3 of Potty Training

Potty training is exhausting. 

Yesterday was so exhausting, I'm not even sure I can remember what happened on potty training day two.

Day Two: We had a few accidents, and he was super upset about it. I assured him that it was okay! At nap time he peed in his pull up a little bit, but was dry for the rest of the day until bedtime. Then every time we put him in bed he kept saying he needed to go...then he did in the potty! Woo hoo!

Day Three: When we woke up this morning, he woke up earlier then normal around 7:30am so I let him snuggle in bed with me for a little while and watch cartoons. Then he said he needed to use the potty so we ran to the potty and sat down. He was screaming and crying, I couldn't figure out why! Then he started to use the potty and became even more upset. I tried to convince him that he was peeing and he gets a sticker and this is a happy moment not a scary one, but I don't think I was very convincing. He was so off his game, he seemed scared that it was happening instead of his usual happy high five-ing self. He was literally screaming bloody murder the whole time he was peeing! Yikes!

We had a play date with Kelli and the girls, they were coming to our house today. I thought that would be better since we had started potty training. He was so worried about going potty all day he didn't know what to do with himself. He would tell me he needed to use the potty, then we would run to the potty and he would say "No! No! All done all done!"  
During nap time, he went down okay, then I guess needed to potty and screamed. Like, I'm talking a blood curdling-I thought he cut a hand off or something kind of scream. I flew upstairs but didn't make it in time and somehow he had peed on the floor through his pull up (I had put a pull up on him for nap time). He was so sad, it broke my heart! I told him over and over that it was OKAY. We would just clean it up, no big deal! I kept the pull up on after his teeny tiny nap, he was just too stressed out about it. 
I don't want him to be worrying constantly. This was suppose to be fun, not traumatizing. 

So, after a few hours of this running back and forth and him not wanting to go in his pull up OR the potty I didn't know what to do. I know he needed to go soon, and he went a little in his pull up after nap, and came to me screaming "POTTY POTTY!" so we went to the bathroom and I asked him if he wanted to try on the potty and he started SCREAMING "NO!!!!!" I was at a loss. The kid has to "go" somewhere! 

So, then (oh by the way Matt had to spend the night in Pikeville for work, so I again was dealing with all the hard stuff solo. He misses out on all of the fun ha!) I decided to give the boys a bath, I was hoping Case would relax in a nice warm bubble bath and calm down a little bit- then maybe even go potty. Rhett was taking a nap when I started his bath, I put him in and it was an instant "Wait Mom! Poo Poo! Poo poo!" so I picked him up out of the bath and sat him on the potty...then it was "No! No! NO! Bath Bath Bath!" So I put him back in the bath...

Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
(Cue Rhett waking up and crying)
Repeat.
"Okay, Case Mommy is done."

I made him get out of the bath and put a pull up on, so I could go feed Rhett his bottle. Case was clingy and crying, I know he needed to go potty but didn't want to. I just had to ignore him and feed Rhett a bottle. I felt so defeated, I didn't know how to help Case realize either way he went was okay, and it was one of those moments when you have two that you have to chose the one with the bigger need. So I fed Rhett a bottle, while Case screamed and cried and elbowed his little brother while trying to get into my lap too. These are the moments I just have to just close my eyes and breathe. :)

Oh and I have a cold, so just add that on top of all of the stress. BLAH! So bedtime finally rolls around, and after talking to my sister with tears in my eyes- trying to figure out what in the world to do we decided that it would be best to just put a comforting diaper back on, put warm jammies on and go to bed. So, I didn't make a big deal out of it I just put a diaper on him, put his warm Tractor PJs on him and told him it was bedtime. We had a little bedtime war, and then had to change a diaper after about the 3rd wake up. (I was just glad he finally relaxed and went!) Then he finally settled down and fell asleep. 

Wow, what a day.

Sweet Rhetter man just lounged and cooed while all of this pure chaos was going on. Have I mentioned that I am so thankful he is so mellow?? Both boys were in bed and asleep by 9pm and I went to bed myself. 

Day 4 of potty training has turned into Mommy making the executive decision that we are not ready to potty train. Like Amy said, he is smart and strong willed so that is why he is being so hard on himself, but emotionally he is just not ready. He has made it so stressful for himself, and I do not want him to be stressed and worried about using the potty. We will wait a few weeks, or months whatever it takes for him to be more relaxed and excited about going potty again. 

I decided that waiting is the best option after he "tooted" and said Sorry! Sorry! 
Bless his sweet heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment