Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 4 of Potty Training

SO...

I retract my previous statement that I decided we weren't ready for potty training. 
Apparently, Case had other plans.

All day long he has been a crying, hysterical, whiny, clingy hot mess. With Matt not being here, and me having to care for a little baby and a humongous muddy dog all day long- let's just say my nerves were shot, I was exhausted and I didn't know what to do.

He would NOT go in his diaper or pull up, and going to potty seemed to be out of the question too. So like I said earlier, the kid had to go somewhere though right?!

He would say he needed to go, and then scream so loudly when he actually was going, we would go to the potty and he would be upset the entire time he was going. 

Thing is though, he was telling me he wanted to go, he was running to the potty, so why in the world was he so scared when he was where he wanted to be? All day long he didn't have any accidents, he peed and pooped in the potty. Should be exciting and rewarding right?! 
Not when I literally felt like I had a colicky two year old all day long. He would not let me leave the room, he was clawing and climbing on me, absolutely inconsolable.

Finally, I talked to my big sister Amy mid-day (about to lose my mind) and she asked around at work to see if anyone had any suggestions. A couple of ladies thought that maybe I should try the portable potty seat instead because he might be panicking that he wouldn't be able to make it in time. Sally, my Mother in law said the same thing later on my facebook status...and it worked! I was busy with Rhett and he sat on the potty and peed...no big deal just peed and then started playing with his blocks. He sort of muttered a "I pee pee in the potty" but I didn't even offer a sticker because I was afraid to break the magic pee time without a complete melt down.

It didn't last very long though, later he was still pretty upset all day, but at least now he will sit on the potty - he pees on it he knows exactly what to do I think it is just going to take some time to get used to. He is your typical first born. He puts a ton of pressure on himself to be perfect in everything he does, he has always been very particular about things. I mean the boy will say "Uh oh" and "Oh No!" about a teeny drop of sauce on his finger or a single piece of dirt on the floor. 

So, for now we are just working through this, because he is definitely over peeing or pooping in his diapers/pull ups. I just wish it was more exciting for him! Hopefully we will get there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment