Thursday, May 24, 2012

Case's Little Thumb

Today while playing Case stopped and ran to me crying saying "Mommy! My thumb hurts! OW OW OW!"
Whenever he says anything about his fingers or his hands, I always check out his thumbs to see if it could have anything to do with his trigger thumbs.

Usually I press on his little bent thumbs, and nothing happens. They are always still locked in a bent position. 
This time though, I noticed his teeny right thumb was moving - bending - working! 
It was unbelievable! 

I thought back to what the Doctor told us. That as he got older and his hands grew, his thumbs would most likely "fix" on their own or get worse as the tendons would either slip out or tighten even further.

I could tell his thumb was sore to the touch, he didn't want me pushing on it, but I couldn't help laughing and saying Case look! Your thumb, it's working! A few minutes later he started playing again, and I began calling the Grand-ma's, and family and whoever would listen! This was exciting news - I mean this could mean no surgery! His left thumb was still locked, but having the right one release gave me so much hope for the other one! 


(Below: Last November when we discovered it, you could literally not budge it from this bent position)

Well, a couple hours later, at nap time. I examined his thumb again. It was locked. Back to a tight bent position. My heart just sank. I assumed that maybe it had slipped out while playing, which caused the pain. Then again, it sort of "popped" back into place. I convinced him to let me mess with it for a minute, I put a little pressure on it and POP it started working again - only this time bless his sweet little heart he just screamed and screamed and screamed! Hello Mother of the Year Award! 
Oh my word I felt terrible! 
He was inconsolable! 
I was trying to comfort him, when I asked him if he'd like a band-aid. 
That's when I quickly figured out, it did hurt, but it scared him more than anything. Because the mention of a band-aid had that boy laughing...and Mama very relieved that I didn't just traumatize my child. 
So, a quick trip downstairs for a sympathy band-aid and he went right down for a nap. 

I was so confused. 
Before nap time I had actually called Shriner's hospital and left a message with our nurse. 
I was happy I didn't hear back from her until later that afternoon so I was able to tell her how it was working, went back to a bent position - then how I pressed on it and it worked again. 
She assured me there wasn't really anything they could do, and that we should keep our appointment in July for the additional x-rays and talk to them about it then. 

 So I decided to leave it alone. 
Seems like they are starting to maybe loosen, or at least we are hoping they are. 
We are hoping and praying little guy doesn't have to have surgery on them, and if they continue to do the slip in and out thing - I am hoping that is a sign we might not have to. 
As I said, we go back in July. 
Can't wait to hear what they have to say about it! 
Hopefully they'll play another waiting game with him, and they fix on their own! 
That would be just the best thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment