Monday, December 5, 2011

Stomach bugs and Cancelling Appointments

Remember my post about Case's thumbs? Well, the date finally rolled around for his Orthopedic appointment. The appointment was for November 30th, and a few days before, Matt called our friend Eric (a trauma surgeon) to see if he had any recommendations for an Orthopedic Surgeon. (The Doctor we were scheduled with, worked in the same building as Eric, so we figured he would be the perfect person to ask for many reasons!) He called us back that Tuesday evening and said the Doctor we were meeting with was great, but didn't work with children that often - and that he recommended a Dr. Scott Riley. 
We of course decided to keep our appointment, and then we would decide what we wanted to do afterward.

Well, plans changed around 6am Wednesday morning. I came down with a vicious stomach bug, I was getting sick every 5 to 15 minutes, and it was not letting up. By the time the boys woke up around 7, Matt ran to Kroger for me to pick up some Pepto and Ginger Ale. For the few minutes he was gone, I tried to pick Rhett up and change his diaper, and had to immediately put him down. Then, I was over the toilet with Rhett standing behind me patting my back, and Case saying "Eww! Yucky Mommy! Yucky!
(Sigh)
By the time Matt got back, I was in tears. I literally didn't have any idea how I was going to take care of the boys that day. I was just miserable. The only thing I was really thinking that morning though, was how Case was going to get to his appointment. I first thought that maybe Mom could take him, and Matt could meet her there - and I would just pray that Rhett would be napping while they were gone. It turned out that Matt had a meeting that morning, and wasn't sure when it would be over. It just kept getting more complicated. I called Mom and Dad, and Dad said "Well, these things happen, can you cancel and reschedule?" "It took us a month to get the appointment though." I said. It was so frustrating - but we ended up deciding that Dad was right. There was just no way it was going to work out today. I was so disappointed. I called the office and left a message, letting them know we weren't going to be able to make it. 

Now that was taken care of, I called Mom and pleaded for her to help me. She thankfully came over and took care of the boys for me, I had Phenergan left over from the stomach bug I got when I was pregnant with Rhett last summer - so I took that and literally slept the entire day. Matt was able to come home at 4, and let Mom get home. I was able to rest all day, and I took another half of a phenergan that evening and felt so. much. better. the next morning. I already called into work for that Thursday, I wasn't sure how I would be feeling, I'm glad I went ahead and did though. I know I wasn't up to getting everyone packed and out the door so early the next day. 

 I was so thankful that my version of the stomach bug (that seemed like it took over Lexington) was quick and relatively easy thanks to medicine. Especially since I needed to schedule another appointment for Case as soon as possible. Matt and I decided to go ahead and cancel the original one all together, and try to get in with Dr. Riley. I was praying that morning that he took our insurance. I called first thing, and not only did they take our insurance, they had an opening the following Monday! (Praise the Lord!) 

Talk about one happy Mommy and Daddy. After telling Mom the Doctor's name we were recommended, she gasped and said that she knew him! That he was so gentle and sweet, and that he has performed hand surgery on my Aunt Sue Sue! Throughout the day, I just kept hearing more great things about him. Turns out he attends church at the church I teach in, and has performed hand surgery on my director's son's hands when they were little. We just couldn't be happier.

A few days after this, Matt got the bug too, his too was pretty quick. Thank goodness.
Well it's Monday. Doctor Day. Thanking God that we are over all this sickness, and that Mom is able to watch Rhetter man today.  We can finally take Case in for this consult (today at 2:30pm)  that we have been waiting for since the beginning of November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment