Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Mommy, I not feel good."

It started with a cough, that just kept getting worse. 
We went to school on Tuesday, and he coughed his little head off, and it seemed to get worse throughout the day. Then, Wednesday morning I had already planned on taking the boys to "drop in" so that I could finish up some Christmas shopping, and have a few hours by myself. 
However, when Case woke up all night long coughing, and was absolutely smoking hot that morning when he got out of bed...I had a feeling we weren't going anywhere. 
Matt and I took his temperature and it was 102.5°. 
Sooo, I called one of our teachers and let her know we wouldn't be making it in. Matt was so amazing and went to Kroger for us before he went to work. He bought Case some Ibuprofen and Popsicles. I couldn't get him to eat anything, I managed to get him to drink a little Orange Juice but that was about it.
Case laid around all morning, snuggled up watching cartoons, Rhetter just played and played. I'm always so thankful when the other is content when I need to tend to the one in need.
Around 11am, Case looked at me and said "Mommy, I so tired. I wanna take a nap."
...and THAT is when you know your child is really sick. 

He took about a two hour nap, and was still had a pretty high fever even with the medicine. It just wasn't breaking. He asked for another nap a couple hours later, but seemed restless and only laid down for about twenty minutes. The evening wasn't any different, he was so puny and miserable. I went ahead and called in from work for Thursday, and planned on calling the Doctor early the next morning. 

Wednesday evening was a LONG one. He was up about every 30 minutes from 8pm-12am, and then again from 3:45am-7am. Makes me tired just thinking about that again. Miraculously though, by 7:30 am, he felt cool to the touch (I realize now that he was probably clammy from just breaking his fever) and was acting just fine. Hyper even! I mean like crazy goof ball hyper! I shook my head and figured that it was just some bug that came and left pretty quickly. I was wrong again though, when by lunch time, he was snuggled on the couch again, and very hot to the touch. Checked him again and he had another high fever. Called Matt and we decided to go ahead and call the Doctor. They said to definitely come on in. Thankfully, Mom and Dad were having lunch close to the house, so they came over to watch the Rhetter man so I could take Case solo.  (Rhett's at the adorable exploring age, but it's not so adorable trying to contain him and keep him entertained at a Doctor's office! Ha!) 

His temp was 102.5 when our nurse checked him, and he was just pitiful while we waited for the Doctor. We played "I spy with my little eye" and read a book while we waited. He wouldn't leave my lap, and when Dr. Latham came in and said hello, Case replied with the saddest little "Hi" you've ever heard. 

After just a quick check up, he said he thought that it was probably pneumonia, but wanted me to head over to UK Sports Medicine for an x-ray to make sure. Pneumonia had not even crossed my mind! I thought for sure an infection of some sort, maybe strep but not pneumonia. Can't explain how thankful I am that we decided to go ahead and take him in today! We headed over for the x-ray and soon after heard back that it was in fact pneumonia, a small case though, thank goodness.

He took a warm bath tonight, and took his first dose of medicine Daddy picked up on his way home. 
Hoping he sleeps better tonight, and feels better fast! 
Nothing worse than having a sick baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment