Monday, September 5, 2011

Mr & Mrs Banner

So, one of my very best friends is getting married in 3 WEEKS! Woo hoo!
She will be having an unbelievably beautiful, simple, perfect back yard wedding, and after being SO motivated from Pinterest I decided to whip up a little present for her Bachelorette Party this weekend.
I wanted her to have it for her wedding pictures, and couldn't wait to give it to her! 

I decided to make her a "Mr & Mrs banner"
 (and I thought I would share how I did it, so fun and easy!)

Here's a list of the supplies I used: 
  • Burlap
  • Sharpie & Pencil
  • Banner Template (I used a cardboard cut out)
  • Black Fabric Paint
  • Foam Brush
  • Freezer Paper
  • Tiny Scissors (I used nail scissors)
  • Iron
  • Hot Glue
  • Twine
  • Aluminum Foil (just to make clean up super easy)
I started by using my cardboard cut out of a triangle, (Tip: Leave a "lip" on top of the triangle so that you can fold it over onto your twine when you assemble the banner) and traced it on my burlap with a sharpie. 
Then I cut out 6 triangles.
Now, here's the part where people laugh at me. 
I literally just pulled up Microsoft Word on my laptop, typed in a M, R, &, and S found a font I liked and changed the size to about 290...took my freezer paper, put it on top of my lap top (hello it's lit behind it so it was SO easy!) and traced the letters! (Very lightly of course, and with a pencil!) (Tip: Make sure the letters will fit nicely in your triangle though!)

After you have traced all your letters, cut them out with your teeny tiny scissors. 
Now, you iron your new stencil onto your burlap...


Now, after you have ironed them, you have a stencil that will not slip! 

Here's where I put some aluminum foil down on my table, and painted my letters. Remember burlap has lots and lots of little holes so it could get pretty messy!


 I wiped it down after each letter so my burlap wouldn't get all sorts of messy. 

When you are finished, let them all dry. 


When they are all nice and dry, you just peel off the freezer paper and VOILA! 



This is where the "lip" of the banner comes in handy, I ironed mine down so it will be super easy to attach to twine (or whatever you wanted to use)


Then, glue a line of hot glue in the folds, I used a paint stirrer to help press it down so I wouldn't burn the fire out of my fingers. :) 


Then, when it's all finished, you have this...



I just love how it turned out, and the ideas are endless! 

I'm thinking "Happy Halloween" for my porch this year, "Christmas" for us to hold up for Christmas Pictures, "Family"... 

Thank you Pinterest for so many ideas and inspirations!

1 comment: