Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ouch.


See that? 

That, almost made it's way through Case's foot. 

Matt and our neighbor were cooking out in our driveway. Case & Rhett were playing in the front yard. I had been out on the back deck painting our kitchen table and hall tree, then washed up and went to get Rhett to put him to bed. As I was walking back downstairs I heard Case crying and Matt and our neighbor Joe walking in and saying "It's okay Case, let's get to the sink. It's okay buddy. Where's the hydrogen peroxide? It'll be okay little guy" The first thing I thought was that he was actually pretty hurt, because usually when he falls he gets the old "You're alright buddy, shake it off" I figured he had fallen and busted his knees or maybe stubbed his toe and it was bleeding like crazy.

As I made my way around to the kitchen where they had him sitting with his feet in the sink, all I saw was blood. His foot was covered, and his little black sandal was drenched. "What happened??" 

We have a ton of monkey grass in our front yard, it wraps around the sidewalk leading to the front door, and apparently he had lost a football in there and stepped through it to get it. The wooden piece was probably dropped from where we got new hard wood floors last year. It was a small piece of quarter round that goes against the base boards. He stepped on it just right, Matt said he had to pull it out...EEK. I have to say that I am thankful that I wasn't there when it happened. I'm afraid I would have been panicked and scared Case even more. 

We cleaned it out with soap and water, and poured hydrogen peroxide on it, and by the time I had gotten to the sink Case was laughing and playing in the water. He kept asking me "Mommy, I wanna go back outside. Mommy?  Outside?" Matt and I just kept looking at each other, how is it that he is totally okay right now?" 

We let him down, and he walked around like nothing had happened, the kid was jumping up and down. We both were just cringing, thinking about what had just been in his foot. Thankfully, it had pierced his foot at the very top of his arch, I think any higher and it would have gone right through his foot. BLAAAH, can't think about that. 

We called our pediatrician's number to get the on call number. After about 20 minutes, we finally reached a nurse, we talked to her about everything we were concerned about. (Tetanus of course) She pulled his records, and confirmed that he was vaccinated at 6 months and his 12 months appointments for tetanus, so he was just fine. Informed us to (of course) watch for infection, swelling, puss all that good stuff. So, we rubbed some neosporin on it and put a band-aid on it. Kid acted like nothing had even happened.

That night, when Matt and I went to bed he kept saying "Ugh, Ouch. Ahhhhh. Ohh." 
"What are you doing? Replaying it in your head?"
"Yes, I can't stop thinking about it, I've had a nail go through my foot, and I know how bad it hurts. You know how they say when you are a parent you feel your child's pain? I felt it. I can't stop feeling it!"
 Bless both their hearts. (I am again, so thankful I didn't see it when it happened!)

We are so blessed that it didn't do any other damage, we watched it carefully over the next week or so and it healed so quickly. 

 Shew.

No comments:

Post a Comment