Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mama's Trip to Granny's House


Amy and I had planned on a girls trip to Granny's together, hoping to plan it after the boy's got back from their golf trip. I ended up changing our original date, because Matt's Mamaw and Papaw had sold their house in Ashland, and Matt and I were going to go down there for that weekend. 
Well, when those plans changed, it turns out Amy had made new plans and couldn't go on our original date.
Does that make any sense? 
Well, anyway turns out plans fell through, Amy encouraged me to go ahead and go - so Mama was headed to Granny's house alone. 
As in no hubby, no babies. A Mama trip, just for Mama. 
I was selfishly very excited for the alone time. Especially in the car, I love driving to Granny's, and love a new road trip CD just as much. I also, think I needed a little "me" time after a week of taking care of the boys solo while Matty was in Hilton Head. ;)

So, I was off, kissed all my sweet boys Good-bye and headed off in Matty's big truck, tunes in hand. 

I got there right after the sun went down, Uncle John was reading his bible, and Granny and Mom were pretty sleepy. So soon after I unpacked, we all said Good-night and I laid down to read. 
Didn't take long for me to call Matt again, and tell him how badly I missed everyone!

The next morning, Mom and I headed to the local flea market there, and I found lots and lots of goodies! 

4 Antique botanical prints
Silver water pitcher
Silver sandwich platter
A little cream lamp for my kitchen
a Chicken Wire basket

 ...the best part, it was all for under $30!
I love thrift shopping, so I was a very happy girl after that quick trip. 
Mom and I picked up some Cherry Limeaids from Sonic afterward, then came home for lunch. 

After lounging around Granny's kitchen table,
 my cousins Jeremiah, Rachel and their daughter Catherine came over.
Rachel had got a new gun for her birthday, and they were all about to go shooting! 
My Uncle John talked me into going, after I said "No way" about 10 times. 

I think the last "gun" I ever shot was with my cousin Caleb, and it was a BB Gun. Ha! 
(I'm sad I didn't get to see Caleb and Shea and their girls this trip!) 

So Rachel and Jeremiah went on ahead, and I rode with Uncle John, and Catherine. Uncle John got Catherine a few fun things to do in the truck from the Dollar tree, something I know she enjoys so much and will remember when she's all grown up. :) 

Then we piled back in the truck, and before I knew it I was shooting a gun! 



As nervous as I was, never handling anything like it - it was SO MUCH FUN. 



They had targets set up, near and far, some trash cans and some concrete blocks. 
Jeremiah had recently built his own gun - I mean ordered all the parts, put it together himself, and I got to watch him shoot it for the first time! 



I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly what it was - but some kind of sniper gun. Very cool. 

Then, I got to shoot the big Daddy. 





All in all, I shot a .22 pistol, a 38.38 pistol, 9 mm semi automatic and an AR 15. 
(You better believe I made Uncle John recite all those to me, so I could write them down and remember!) 

Uncle John, Jeremiah and Rachel were all great teachers, and it was so fun getting out of my comfort zone, turns out I had a pretty good eye a couple of times - I even hit a concrete block with a pistol. I don't really know what that means, but Uncle John and my hubby seemed pretty impressed! :)

After shooting, we came back to the house, and said Bye to Mom, she was headed home since Dad promised to take her out to dinner that night. 
We were sitting around, when Uncle John suggested a motorcycle ride - and I quickly agreed. 

We rode down by the river, and then he took me to see my Aunt Marie's grave sight. 
Still so strange that she is not with us here on earth, but in heaven. 
I know she is watching over her boys, and her memories are forever with us. 
Sure do miss her, especially when I'm in Leitchfield. 

The motorcycle ride was fun, and came with beautiful scenery. It was a gorgeous day for it. 
I had SO much fun hanging with my family in Leitchfield that weekend, wished I got to see everyone, but it was just a quick trip this time - and I was aching to hold and kiss my boys. 

Can't wait to visit again, and I promise to bring all my boys next time! 



No comments:

Post a Comment